Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Confidence High, And Then Crash

Look how adorable this kiddo is!

I recently started a photography business. Like, a real, registered-with-the-state, tax ID number, now-accepting-clients-I-don't-know business. As you know, I have been taking pictures of friends and family for a couple of years now, and after the trip to Portland my husband and I talked long and hard and decided it was finally time to go for it. I feel like I've hit a wall with the education and the gear I have, and I figure I can finance upgrading both by bringing in clients and charging for portraits. I did the standard research of photographers in my area and priced myself out accordingly. I did a booth at a local school and had a lot of positive feedback and email signups. I even have a friend who is so kind and gives me feedback on what needs to be adjusted, which I really, really appreciate. I also had my first real paid-for shoot for a stranger on Saturday, and I was so incredibly pleased with the photos.

In other words, I have been on Cloud 9 for the last few days. I even have 3 more shoots booked already!

And then the crash came. What if the client from Saturday doesn't like her portraits? She seemed happy with the sneak peek, but I'm still nervous. What if things don't go A-B-C with booking the three shoots I have on my schedule? What if someone gets upset with me? I'm already running through my guarantee policy and feeling bad for disappointing someone, even though to my knowledge it hasn't even happened yet.

I admit, I am totally the kind of person who has a "words of affirmation" love language and I often struggle with self-doubt. You would think as a 29 year old mom with four kids I totally would have gotten over that already, but it still shows up quite a bit when new people are brought in to the picture. I'm not looking for people to come on here and reassure me, mostly I'm just documenting the beginning of a new (and hopefully long) chapter in my life of running a photography business.

I'm curious, do you get nervous like this when you start something new? I would love to hear your story, and how you overcame that obstacle.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, let me start by saying how PROUD I am of you-how proud of yourself you should be-for taking the risk and "going for it". I know too many people who are too afraid of rejection and the unknown that they do NOTHING-so be proud YOU did.
    As with any artistic expression, there will be people who don't "like" your work. I do think you can feel good about what you do if you go into it knowing that you can't please everyone-while striving to always do your very best work-which knowing you is a given!
    HECK YES! I have felt so nervous I thought I'd vomit when starting something new-one silly thing that has helped with my new job is repeating-fake it til you make it. I know I will make mistakes and not everyone will love what I create-but having a good sense of humor about it all and feeling deep down that this is exactly what I SHOULD be doing because it is so fulfilling helps overcome those self doubts-as I'm sure it will for you!
    I cannot WAIT to see you progress as a photographer-I think you are VERY talented and will go far-bravo and much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and good luck with your new photography business! Being able to make a living doing something you love is a blessing. Just keep your chin up and believe in your talent & skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I try to leave comment love back on your blog as well. All feedback is welcome, I want to improve as an artist. Blessings to you!