Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer School Activity - Magazine Letters

Materials:
-Old magazines
-cardstock or other paper
-glue sticks
-scissors

This one was inspired by this post by Molequish. I love her idea, but I don't think we are quite there yet for our four year old. I gave each kid an old magazine (given to me by a friend, but I also found out local libraries give them away for free sometimes). My four year old was asked to find each letter, one at a time, cut it out, and glue it on a piece of cardstock in order. The two year old simply got to cut to her heart's content, as it was her first time using her "big girl" scissors. Her collage ended up consisting of several models with shredded legs.

It took about 2 hours over 3 tries for the four year old to finish his, but he really did a great job, and I am so proud of him. This one's going in a special place for sure.


And of course, no project would be quite the same without Daddy coming in and showing kids how to make alien people by splicing different body parts together....


Here are some modifications for different ages and skill levels:

-Learning to cut - let them cut whatever they want. Show the process of cutting and gluing
-Visuals - cut out pictures, or any letters they find that they think will look nice
-Alphabet - cut out and glue alphabet in order
-Words - cut out words they can read
-Sentences - cut out words and make new sentences out of them
-Story book - cut out words and/or pictures to make a story book

2 comments:

  1. Great activity! Come join me for my Summer school link-up on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This IS a great activity! So simple, and I think often times we try to make these things WAY more complicated than they need to be. And what kid doesn't like cutting and pasting?!! Thanks for sharing this at For the Kid Fridays! I'm sharing this with my Facebook friends now.

    I'd LOVE to have you come back and share again this week! Party is now posted!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/06/for-kids-friday-13.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I try to leave comment love back on your blog as well. All feedback is welcome, I want to improve as an artist. Blessings to you!