Friday, June 10, 2011

Quest to Live Healthier

Well, I blew it. All of the crap I have been eating this pregnancy seems to have caught up to me. I failed my glucose test at my last OB appointment. I have to go in tomorrow and do the dreaded 3 hour test at the hospital, and it sounds like the docs are expecting it to come up positive for Gestational Diabetes. DANG IT! So much for those bowls of ice cream every night. (I should put in a disclaimer that as I am typing this, I am letting myself eat my last Totino's Pizza. I would hate to see it go to waste in the freezer....)

Going through my pantry I realized how much sugar I bring in to our house. Sure, our granola bars may be "Fiber Plus with Antioxidants," but I guarantee they are still full of simple sugars and preservatives. And don't get me started on cereal. Seriously, if you want to buy healthy cereal you have to pay like $4+ a box for it! Ridiculous. So instead I have put lots of Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, and Corn Pops and let kids eat those to their hearts' content in the mornings while I get some more zzzz's. Even the Honey Bunches of Oats is staring me in the face saying "unhealthy, unhealthy, unhealthy...."

I decided it's time to replace all of the sugary cereals and bars in our home with something homemade and healthy. I mean, you can buy healthy, but it's SO EXPENSIVE, and I even read an article about how healthy cereals still undergo a lot of the same processing the unhealthy ones do that strip away the nutrients and protein from the individual grains. No good.

I searched Google for "homemade cereals," and it astounded me how many of them DON'T HAVE PICTURES. Seriously, people, if you want me to try your recipe that contains some crazy ingredients like flax seed and other foods found in Boulder, YOU NEED A PICTURE for me to want to think that it looks good and make me want to try it. Here are some finds I did come across that had the courtesy to take an appetizing picture of them:




A major plus is that this week Sprouts is running at 25% off ALL BULK ingredients this week, so it's a great chance to go and get this hippy stuff for 25% cheaper. Hopefully I will like it, and my kiddos too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I try to leave comment love back on your blog as well. All feedback is welcome, I want to improve as an artist. Blessings to you!